We offer an extensive range of high quality and lightweight wheelchairs. All our chairs are reliable and tested to the highest standards. Essential Aids wheelchairs (UK) has established a reputation for supplying the best models on the market at affordable prices. We offer both self-propelled wheelchairs and models which require an assistant to push. If you are looking to buy a wheelchair or wheelchair accessories, we are here to help.
We offer an extensive range of high quality and lightweight wheelchairs. All our chairs are reliable and tested to the highest standards. Essential Aids wheelchairs (UK) has established a reputation for supplying the
Items 1-30 of 129
- Vat ExemptCompact, lightweight and comfortable, the Breezy Moonlite is an ideal modern wheelchair.
- Vat ExemptAttendant propelled wheelchair with folding back.
- Vat ExemptGeneral purpose, folding, self propelled wheelchair with a folding back.
- Vat ExemptA compact, lightweight and versatile wheelchair made from aluminium.
- Vat ExemptCompact and lightweight attendant propelled wheelchair.
- Vat ExemptA compact half-folding wheelchair ideal for full time use or travel.
- Vat ExemptLightweight aluminium wheelchair with armrests, a fold down backrest, attendant brakes and large wheels for maximum comfort and safety.
- Vat ExemptFolding aluminium wheelchair is lightweight yet strong, ideal for patient transit or travel.
- Vat ExemptPressure relief chair with reclining backrest, adjustable calf rest and tilting seat.
- Vat ExemptA highly-maneuverable electric wheelchair for use both indoors and outside.
- Vat ExemptThis folding wheelchair has a superb design making it uniquely simple to operate.
- Vat ExemptAn innovative way of allowing a carer to transport patients up a flight of stairs.
- Vat ExemptThis is a high quality, versatile, folding wheelchair made from lightweight aluminium.
- Vat ExemptNew premium quality wheelchair with swing away footrests, padded upholstery and attendant brakes.
- Vat ExemptA wheelchair with a lightweight aluminium frame.
- Vat ExemptThis lightweight wheelchair can be supplied in both self propelled and transit chair variants.
- Vat ExemptThis aluminium wheelchair has a bright red finish to make it stand out.
- Vat ExemptA well-designed wheelchair with an aluminium frame.
- Vat ExemptThis high-quality wheelchair is suitable for everyday use.
- Vat ExemptThis high-quality wheelchair is designed with comfort in mind.
- Vat ExemptA stylish and modern self-propelled wheelchair.
- Vat ExemptA lightweight and well designed folding wheelchair with a carry bag.
- Vat ExemptThis steel wheelchair folds up, making it ideal for travel purposes.
- Vat ExemptAn aluminium wheelchair with a folding design, making it perfect for travel.
- Vat ExemptA lightweight wheelchair that is ideal for use while travelling.
- Vat ExemptThis bariatric wheelchair is made from reinforced steel.
- Vat ExemptThis wheelchair is available in a range of attractive colours.
- Vat ExemptA self-propelled wheelchair with a sturdy steel frame.
- Vat ExemptThis aluminium wheelchair is lightweight and strong.
- Vat Exempt
This transit wheelchair has a durable chrome-plated frame.
A wheelchair is essentially a mobile chair, which enables the transport of an individual sitting in it.
Most commonly used wheelchairs have four wheels, two at the front and two at the rear.
Manual wheelchairs have two broad categories - transit or ‘attendant-propelled’ chairs and ‘self-propelled’ models.
The former requires the help of a second person to push the wheelchair, while the second is propelled by the person sitting in it.
Wheelchairs are fundamental mobility aids for people unable to walk unaided.
This may be because of illness, disability, or another condition preventing or inhibiting their mobility and particularly the lower limbs.
These chairs have small wheels at the rear and the front, and require the help of a second person in order to propel them.
They have two handles with which the attendant pushes and steers the wheelchair.
Transit wheelchairs - these are versions of the attendant propelled models which are specifically designed for use in vehicles.
They are crash tested and have straps to allow them to be tied down, along with seat-belts and hand brakes.
These wheelchairs are the familiar design with two small front wheels, and a pair of much larger wheels at the back.
The rear wheels have a second ‘rim’ which the person in the chair can manually rotate from their sitting position.
The user is able to access the wheels by reaching down from the armrests as they sit in the wheelchair.
Yes, most models have footrests.
These prevent feet dragging on the ground or getting caught up under the wheelchair.
Typically, footrests are mounted on metal arms to position them perfectly where the user’s feet hang down in front of the seat.
Wheelchair footrests can usually be flipped up and out of the way, should that be required.
Some footrests have heel straps, preventing the foot sliding off backwards.
Self-propelling wheelchairs have readily accessible brakes for each wheel.
These are usually either ‘scissor brakes’, ‘pull-to-lock’ or ‘push-to-lock brakes’.
In most cases, the brakes are mounted at the front of the large rear wheels, making them easy to reach for the person sitting in the wheelchair.
Attendant propelled wheelchairs often have brake levers located on the pushing handles.
Some wheelchairs have brake levers on the pushing handles as well as those on the wheels themselves.
Wheelchairs range in seat width and this will be detailed in the specific product’s description.
The standard seat width ranges from around 16 inches to around 20 inches.
There are some bariatric wheelchairs with a seat width of 22 inches plus.
Yes, there are a whole range of wheelchair accessories, along with a specific section devoted to wheelchair bags, and wheelchair cushions.
Yes, bariatric wheelchairs are widely available, with user weight tolerances and measurements far above those of standard models.
Both attendant propelled and self-propelled versions are available..